Wednesday, August 23, 2017

CD REVIEW: AERIAL by Newman




AERIAL by Newman 
(AOR Heaven)

The highly anticipated return of Newman comes to us in the form of, 'Aerial', the band's eleventh release featuring 12 tracks loaded with huge chorus's, maintaining the high quality production values that have been prevalent over the band's last albums. The new album sees Steve Newman teaming up with Rob McEwen (drummer for the last nine Newman albums), the album also features long time friend Mark Thompson-Smith lending his vocals to "Fear Of Flying" and " Two Sides".  My measuring stick for any new album is repeatability and whether I change my viewpoint on tracks I didn't like on the first or second pass. In this regard, I think I've listened to the album three or four times now. The tracks I liked least are now actually the tracks I tend to fast forward to now, because they are unique, well-written and masterfully executed. That being said, the album sounds strong and fresh. Standout songs, "Fear Of Flying", "Don't Wake The Lion", "Life To Remember", the rocking "High Tonight (Aerial)", "Nothing Left" and the album closing, "You Don't Know Me". Old and new Newman fans will certainly find something they like, and will probably find that a few of the songs get stuck in their head (in a good way of course). The music runs the gamut from rocking grooves to beautiful ballads. It's a mature body of work and one that in my opinion speaks volumes on why this band creates inspiring, compelling and masterfully performed original songs that never cease to amaze. Nothing crazy here, just killer music.  Highly Recommended
Tony @ The Dedicated Rocker Society

No comments:

Post a Comment